ANZAC Day 2020 - A year we will never forget.

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 25, 2020 at 08:04
ThreadID: 139941 Views:7177 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Every ANZAC Day Fiona and I go to our local memorial gates here in Clare and along with around 500 people pay our respects to all men and women that have served in all war conflicts around the world and for those that paid the ultimate sacrifice.

This year, 2020 will be one year that we all will never forget. To mark this most important day, Fiona, I and our neighbour, Lutheran Pastor Greg help our own private memorial in Gleeson Street.

On a small table draped with an Australian Flag we had a memorial to my late grandpa, who would never ever miss his ANZAC Day March.

Like so many young boys of his time, he forged his parents signature and enlisted at the age of only 17 and in 1915 was in the battlefields of a world so far from his home in South Australia. Grandpa would never ever speak to his family the horror he and his mates went through. All that we know he was retrieved from the trenches, hospitalised and placed on the critical ill listing. In late 1916 he was brought back to Australia on a hospital ship, he was the lucky one, while many of his mates laid buried in unmarked graves in the Battle Fields of Europe.

Lest We Forget

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 24 Moderator

Reply By: Bazooka - Saturday, Apr 25, 2020 at 10:50

Saturday, Apr 25, 2020 at 10:50
Lest We Forget.
AnswerID: 631191

Reply By: rumpig - Saturday, Apr 25, 2020 at 11:29

Saturday, Apr 25, 2020 at 11:29
LEST WE FORGET....WE WILL REMEMBER THEM

It was nice to see quite a few people out in our street this morning marking the day, we live streamed the ABC tv broadcast to our own driveway service. We had our neighbours join us for the service at a safe distance which was nicer then standing at the driveway by ourselves, even had a couple of old war planes leave nearby Archerfield Airport do a fly past as the service was running. Our kids and the neighbours kids made poppies out of egg cartons, if you zoom in on the pic you’ll see the gates are covered in them, they even run all along the top of the fence across the front yard.

AnswerID: 631192

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Apr 25, 2020 at 11:48

Saturday, Apr 25, 2020 at 11:48
That’s great rumour, well done
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 907163

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Saturday, Apr 25, 2020 at 15:30

Saturday, Apr 25, 2020 at 15:30
Really good to see.. We had our iPad Anzac service going with the grandkids in the driveway, headlamps on, and we were really happy to see several of our close neighbours out there as well. A moving and lovely time, which I hope is encouraged in forthcoming years, as not everyone can attend the Anzac ceremonies.

Cheers
Jim
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 631198

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Apr 25, 2020 at 16:53

Saturday, Apr 25, 2020 at 16:53
Yes it must be kept up indeed
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 907166

Sponsored Links